August 10, 2013

Ladies Who Brunch

We are always so busy with work, law school, etc. that we are definitely not the kind of ladies who leisurely lunch during the week, which is why Saturday brunch is an all around fave! Girl talk, mimosas, and breakfast goodies...could you imagine a more perfect way to catch up with your girlfriends?! The best thing about brunch though is that you get the joys of sleeping in without giving up the deliciousness that is breakfast (seriously my favorite meal) because brunch doesn't discriminate against late risers like McDonald's does by not serving breakfast past 11am...like really McDonald's that's way too early for a Saturday. So because we all love brunch so much and because I'm living up my last week of summer freedom before beginning my 3L year and law firm job I decided to turn this month's Supper Club dinner into Supper Club brunch instead. And given my love for brunch, current abundance of time, and celebrate-o-holic tendencies I obvi kind went all out. not shocking.

Planning a party literally brings me such joy that it is kind of frightening. Plus I can't help it...I get it from my mother who has her girlfriends over every Thursday evening for cocktails and canapés...they call it "Juevesito." Planning an event gives me an excuse to peruse Pinterest for hours on end with an actual purpose and end goal opposed to the regular kind of Pinterest perusing where you're just pinning stuff for "one day in the future." I wish I was as creative as the people who originally come up with some of the ideas floating around Pinterest...I just see pictures of their lovely visions and put them together in my own way and with a little twist.


First up the table scape. I loved the idea of using a kraft paper roll as the table "linen" because when you're finished you can just throw it away and you can write cute little messages on it with Sharpie like I did here..."Bon Appetit!" Next time though I'm purchasing a thicker Sharpie!

Hydrangeas rock. They last a long time and fill up a big space so I used my fave flower in my fave Mackenzie-Childs teapot to create a girly centerpiece because regular vases are just so blah. And its perched atop this little bark cake stand I found at World Market. World Market has so many gems at such a good price! I also found these cute little mason jar mugs there and I have my eye on a couple of other goodies.

I used little succulent plants as the place setting/party favor since everyone loves succulents, their inexpensive, and they aren't hard to kill (or so I thought before I killed all of mine), I waited until 2 days before the event to purchase them since I was afraid that if they were in my possession for too long they would be dead before the brunch. so sad. I made these little flags using kraft paper and toothpicks....so easy!

A little cucumber mint water quenched our thirst after a couple of mimosas. I infused regular water with mint sprigs and cucumber slices overnight and the morning of added giant ice cubes I made the evening before in a muffin pan that had a cucumber slice in them. refressshhing and tasted like a spa if that makes any sense.

I have an obsession with kraft paper and putting things in frames so the combination of the two for a mimosa bar menu was a given.

Fresh squeezed OJ and Grapefruit juice from Central Market in these lovely little swing bottles from Sur La Table which took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to open the first time....it was one of those "its so easy its hard" type of things. I again used kraft paper and my square whole puncher to makes these labels which I then placed inside place card holders.

Champagne from mini champagne bottles just make your mimosas taste better right?

As garnishes there were mixed berries or these lovely little white sugar swizzle sticks which I also have in brown sugar for my morning coffee. love.

Although I recently dabbled in making my own tissue tassel garland which turned out pretty good for a first try, I ordered this mint and coral beauty from Etsy to hang over the mimosa bar.

I finally got to break in our new buffet/china cabinet! This was pre our near death experience/fire mishap. A. who knew a tea candle could make a ceramic chaffing dish so hot that it would break in half? B. that when a tea candle is burning a small fire that can't be put out by blowing on it, that pouring water on it only makes it 10x worst? We literally had a giant explosion that is only funny now because my new china cabinet is still in perfect condition, my house is still standing, and more importantly no one got hurt...just a little spilled candle wax that got cleaned up right away and didn't stop us from enjoying our mimosas which we all drank down immediately post-fire to calm the nerves. Kind of scary at the moment but sooooo hilarious now! Brunch and a little fire entertainment!

Little greek yogurt parfaits in stem less wine glasses with a wooden spoon attached using gold washi tape. Kristina's parfait has gluten free granola hence the little flag to denote which one is hers to enjoy! Delish!

At our house warming soiree last year we had a Macaroon tree made so for this summer's brunch I decided to make a doughnut hole tree myself. So easy, so good, and so cute...something about it screams Marie Antoinette and France to me! I used a styrofoam cone and little toothpicks to put about 3 boxes of these heavenly powdered doughnut holes onto the tree.

I've always wanted a cake with a huge banner that says "let them eat cake" so I improvised and made this little flag for my doughnut hole tree.

And of course little kraft paper to go boxes so that everyone could take some doughnut holes home as a sweet treat because Lucas and I weren't about to eat that entire thing by ourselves!

Using my new DIY chalkboard!

A view of our little brunch in all its splendor!

Having little events here and there lends to collecting all sorts of party essentials plus crafting the little details to complete the look ends up in an even larger assortment of party goodies in store for the next event which is how I've ended up with all these party pieces...well that and our wedding registry! So here is to good food, good company, and little parties! Happy Brunching!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment